It’s that time of year again- politicians are at each other’s throats with false promises for the American people. But here’s something on the ballot regarding health that’s important not only to California voters, but nationwide.
Most people don't have the time or care to research all the ins and outs of each measure on the ballot. Here’s the short of it, a study done on GMO corn and why we should have the right to know.
"First-Ever Lifetime Feeding Study Finds Genetically Engineered Corn Causes Massive Tumors, Organ Damage, and Early Death"
September 22, 2012
By Dr. Mercola
* A two-year long French feeding study designed to evaluate the long-term health effects of a genetically engineered corn found that rats fed Monsanto’s maize developed massive breast tumors, kidney and liver damage, and other serious health problems. The major onslaught of diseases set in during the 13th month.
* Female rats that ate genetically engineered corn died 2-3 times more than controls, and more rapidly, while the male GE-fed rats had tumors that occurred up to a year-and-a-half earlier than rats not fed GE corn.
* According to results from a 10-year long feeding study on rats, mice, pigs and salmon, genetically engineered feed causes obesity, along with signiﬁcant changes in the digestive system and major organs, including the liver, kidneys, pancreas, genitals and more.
* The EPA admits there’s “mounting evidence” that Monsanto’s insecticide-ﬁghting YieldGard corn is losing its effectiveness in the Midwest. Last year, rootworms resistant to the toxin in the genetically designed corn infested ﬁelds in Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Nebraska.
* Genetically engineered foods are responsible for development of resistant weeds and pests; increased pathogenic virulence; degradation of soil quality; reduced nutrient content in food; exponential rise in infertility and birth defects; reduced crop yields, and more...
"Passing Prop 37 is Key to Expanding Sustainable Agriculture in North America.
Nestle has donated nearly $1.17 million to the "No on 37 Coalition," which is working to prevent the labeling of GE foods in California. So much for listening to consumers...
"Although many organic consumers and natural health activists already understand the importance of Proposition 37, the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Foods Act, it cannot be overemphasized that winning the battle over Prop 37 is perhaps the most important food ﬁght Americans – not just Californians – have faced so far. Once food manufacturers can no longer label or market GE-tainted foods as "natural" or "all-natural," and once all GE ingredients are clearly marked, millions of consumers will demand non-GE alternatives, and organic and non-GE food sales will dramatically increase.
But in order to win this ﬁght for the right to know what's in our food, we need your help, as the biotech industry will surely outspend us by 100 to 1, if not more, for their propaganda.
It's important to realize that getting this law passed in California would have the same overall effect as a national law, as large companies are not likely going to label their products as genetically engineered when sold in California (the 8th largest economy in the world), but not when sold in other states. Doing so would be a costly PR disaster. So please, I urge you to get involved and help in any way you can, regardless of what state you live in.
Including the European Union, approximately 50 countries currently require labeling of GE foods (CTRTK, 2012). Unfortunately, the United States (US) is not one of these countries. You don’t have to be for or against genetically modified foods to do so. Proposition 37 will mandate only the right to know when we are consuming a genetically modified food product. Protect your right to choose what you put in your body. Vote yes on Prop 37.
*A recent, thought-provoking article on Big Food vs. The Food Movement. CLICK HERE.
*Some biology basics of GMO. CLICK HERE.
*Corn by Any Other Name: A related post about corn and what products contain corn byproducts. CLICK HERE.
*Support California's YES ON 37 initiative, CLICK HERE.